assembly with dot issue?

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:56 PM
hi all,

I've been trying this project to see if it would fit my project.

After creating a small VB.net project I found out that if my assembly has a dot in it, it doesn't work, I get a blank label (no errors or crashes). (i.e: Wpf.Application1)

But when I change my assemble to WpfApplication1 (no dot) it works fine.

Also, I've seen a post talking about some problems with dotfuscator. I use that, would that be a problem?

Thanks.
Feb 22, 2013 at 6:19 AM
I seem to encounter the same problem. Assembly names with dots do not work.
Feb 26, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Same Issue here. It seems the language Detection goes wrong - use the fallback resource every time.
Feb 26, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Edited Feb 26, 2013 at 10:19 PM
benschi11 wrote:
Same Issue here. It seems the language Detection goes wrong - use the fallback resource every time.
By fallback resource do you mean the @SomeKey value from your first resource dictionary? If so it's the same issue I have also. I posted about it recently here: http://wpflocalizeextension.codeplex.com/discussions/434521
Feb 27, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Edited Feb 27, 2013 at 9:15 AM
iPlexor wrote:
By fallback resource do you mean the @SomeKey value from your first resource dictionary?
Edit: With fallback resource I mean the Resource file without language extension (Strings.resx and not Strings.de.resx).
Feb 27, 2013 at 12:24 PM
I've got the same issue! Really annoying!
Feb 27, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Ok, and do you mean at runtime or in the designer? Mine is only doing it in the designer and is fine at runtime.
Feb 28, 2013 at 3:22 PM
In my case, it is in both - in Runtime and in the designer!
Coordinator
Feb 28, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Edited Feb 28, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Hi,

I've also experienced some strange behaviour in the designer beginning with VS2012. Up to now, I wasn't able to figure out the system it follows and how to fix it. Luckily, it does not have any impact on my runtime behaviour in both, projects with and without dots in the assembly name (all C#). Unfortunately, I'm pretty much bound in some critical projects right now (and approximately also March) and therefore have no time for solving this issue.

In other words, please be patient. If you have any thought on the cause of this behaviour or even a possible solution for it, please feel free to share it here. Especially in the field of interaction with VB applications, some help would be welcome.

Edit: For us, it is always helpful to provide a simplified example solution with the particular problem. This speeds up developement alot.

Best,
Uwe
Coordinator
Mar 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM
SlickRick wrote:
In my case it was both runtime and designer as well.

Currently my solution is to use a different library to do the localization.
[link removed]

I've been using this for a few years and it work pretty well.

This library seems promising but for now it just doesn't work.

Hopefully this will get other people a 'workaround' while it get fixed.
SlickRick: this platform is not made to advertisements, its made to help people with out library.
I hope you understand and respect that.

Cheers
Mar 1, 2013 at 12:35 PM
My intention was absolutely not to do any advertisement, I'm in no way link to that other project and doesn't retrieve any benefits from it.

You said that you were stuck on other project for the moment and that you didn't had the time (at this moment) to solve the issue, so I wanted to offer a solution to those, like me, who really need to acheive localization without having to wait for a fix. Some of us, like you, have outgoing projects that cannot wait for a few weeks and needs to ship with multi-language support.

Like I said this library is very promising but just not working for me right now.

Again, I was simply hoping to help other with this link and not do any kind of advertisement.
Coordinator
Mar 1, 2013 at 12:39 PM
I understand your intention but I think it easier for everyone when we come up with a solution than switching to a completely different solution.
As Uwe already wrote:

MrCircuit wrote:
In other words, please be patient. If you have any thought on the cause of this behaviour or even a possible solution for it, please feel free to share it here. Especially in the field of interaction with VB applications, some help would be welcome.

Edit: For us, it is always helpful to provide a simplified example solution with the particular problem. This speeds up developement alot.
So please help us by providing a small problem package so we can investigate it quickly and help you even better and faster.

Cheers :)
Mar 1, 2013 at 1:53 PM
I have created the following issue which contains my test project which I used to replicate the problem.
http://wpflocalizeextension.codeplex.com/workitem/9287

Note that once I put dot in the assembly name, both design and runtime fails to show content.
Jun 21, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Edited Jun 21, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Hi Developers,

im reviewing my post since I had the wrong version.

It seems like the dot issue was indeed fixed, thanks for that.

Although I seem to have other issues:
  1. If my resources are under the My.Resources namespace, the library cannot located it. Removing the namespace seems to work.
  2. changing in xaml: Engine:LocalizeDictionary.DesignCulture="fr" doesn't refresh the displayed resources, it still display in English, but at runtime it works fine.
Coordinator
Jul 9, 2013 at 7:59 PM
The design-time issue under VS2012 is still not solved. Please help by voting up the issue at MSDN.